Wednesday 27 May 2009

HAZELNUT CARTWHEELS

INGREDIENTS:

155 gr ground hazelnuts
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 egg
3 sheets puff pastry
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with 2 teas cold water
2/3 cup icing sugar
2 tbls boiling water

METHOD:

Combine hazelnuts, sugar and eggs and mix well.
Lightly brush each pastry sheet with water.
Cut each pastry sheet into 9 squares.
With a sharp knife starting 1 cm from the centre of each pastry sheet, cut diagonally to each corner.
Spoon 1 teas into the middle of each piece.
One at a time, fold one corner point to the centre to form a cartwheel shape.
Brush top of cartwheel surface with the egg yolk mix.
Bake at 230C for 10 - 15mins or until golden.
Make icing and brush over the cartwheels while they are still warm.
Serve warm and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my original comment is lost I think. I won't preview this one and will try again. Just wanted to tell you I was given this recipe over 20 years ago and made it again today. Just out of curiosity I decided to search for it online and here I am. You have almost the exact same recipe but I do add a tablespoon of dark rum, which is an option in my recipe, and I have used ground almonds as well. They keep well for a day or two in an airtight container if they last that long! I will browse your failsafe recipes and may well try a few. Thanks and best wishes, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,

      Thank you for your comment. I will give the rum a try next time. I put this blog up so my kids could access the recipes they loved as they grew up. I ended up with a drawer full of recipes and books so wanted to put the recipes all in the one spot so when asked I could just find them here or direct the kids to the website to print out what they wanted.

      Hope you find some recipes that appeal to you. The biggest favourite of the family by far is the Dutch Apple Pie and also the Butter Cake.

      Best wishes, Sharon :D

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.